Saturday, December 6, 2008

On your mark, get set.

I cannot quite put my finger on but in 2001 or 2002, my friend, Sean, and I caught a ride from Gallup to Albuquerque to see Candiria at the Launchpad with 36 Crazyfists and some other band I cannot remember at this point in time. Although I do remember being really stoked when the tour was first announced as it was the line-up was originally supposed to consist of Candiria, Unearth and Diecast. Three bands I was really stoked on at the time (and still kind of am in Candiria's case as their "unreleased" album was recently released).

Anyways we got there a little there before doors opened because we often got into town too early and did not really have anything to do in our spare time there. I noticed that there were way too many vans present than there were needed to accomodate the touring bands on the bill. After Caustic Lye played, I found out the van belonged to Agents of Man.

I had never heard of them up until that point and was pretty suprised by good they were. Of course I did not appreciate them as much as I do now seeing as how I was a super cool metal/hardcore/whatever guy at the time (and still am), but you know, better late than never, right?

After they played, Sean and I walked over to their merch table where I picked up their CD and the rest is history. I still listen to this EP on a regular basis and when their full-length dropped in 2005, which was really a surprise to me as I did not even know they were putting out a full-length, it was all I listened to on my drives to and back from work in Gallup. I mean, I still listen to it as it is a fucking great record.

Now onto what they sound like. It really is not something you would expect considering the bands from which they came, such as Bulldoze (one of the hardest, if not THE hardest, band[s]) or Elements DEC. They play a mixture of "tough guy" hardcore (?) with poppy elements and siiiick singing, but without being cheesy at all. If singing along and pounding your fist to the hardest pop songs ever sounds like it would be up your alley, check this EP out, although this EP is not as heavy as their full length.

I get a lot of flack for liking this band as much as I do, but whatever. It just sucks knowing that this band could have done so much more in the time they were a band. I do not know if you can buy the EP from the label, but you can get it on Amazon used for $0.49, and that is an awesome deal. So yeah, check it out, you might like it. Haterz be damned.



Try it.
Buy it.


- Tyrone

No comments: