Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lanterns, GZA, United Nations

This is my first post on NGTH so I thought I would take the time to share the new music that has been exciting me recently...



LANTERNS-
APOCALYPSE YOUTH EP


I heard of this awesome band from San Diego from fellow poster Brian M a couple of years ago, right around the time this band formed & immediately fell in love with their loud, noisy pop songs. I just received their newest ep, "Apocalypse youth" in the mail a few days ago, & it has been in heavy rotation since. This is their third release (they've also released a split cd/10 inch & 2 song SXSW ep) & features their strongest song writing/production yet. If you like bands in the vein of Sonic youth, My bloody valentine etc etc I could see you possibly enjoying a band like this. All of their releases are pretty cheap & available for purchase via their myspace page (linked below) so check out their songs & pick something up if you like it!

Listen
Purchase
Lanterns blogspot



GZA-
PRO TOOLS

The GZA is 1/8 of the surviving Wu-tang clan, & a founding member. Wu-tang have been one of my favorite hip-hop groups for a long time & The GZA ties for my favorite Emcee out of the bunch, so as you can imagine, I was very excited when he quietly dropped his first album in several years this last week. The GZA to me is rarely matched when it comes to complex well written lyrics with multiple layers of meaning, delivered from his trademark smooth casual flow & he is in top form on this album. The last few albums of his (Minus the DJ Muggs vs GZA album/remix album) have suffered drom inconsistent & weak production, so thankfully I see Pro tools as a welcome change in this area. The beats are very simple & perfect for setting up The GZA's lyrics as the main attraction. For those of you who enjoy hip hop that isn't overtly aggressive, I highly recommend this album, just click the links below:

Listen
Purchase



& finally, I want to talk about the new self titled album from UNITED NATIONS, The band featuring the vocalists of Thursday & Glassjaw, & the drummer of converge playing awesome 90's screamo punk like Orchid, Joshua fit for battle, Saetia etc. They uploaded their lp here & you can stream it until it comes out in 2 weeks. I'm already addicted to this lp & can't wait for my copy to come in the mail! I read an interesting article about them here, so if you have 5-10 minutes, check it out, it's a good read. Hopefully these guys will play a couple of shows in the near future.

So, hope you guys can find something you like amongst this stuff I listed, I'll be posting something later this week on movies, enjoy my 1st post!

-Brian G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

United Nations also has a member of Kiss It Goodbye...just thought I'd throw that out there...